Mary Chris Hines writes:
"I am not in LA currently, but used to live there and if someone has a car (or can borrow or rent one) they can go to a GREAT little place I found. This is even better if they have kids, but believe me, adults can get just as much of a kick out of it!
It's free to boot!!! (At least it was for the years I went there and likely still is!) It is run by old retired engineers who built these small trains and run them. Not only does it go by the items listed below, but also over a big wonderful tressle bridge and under tunnels. It is a total experience!
The directions from what I recall are: go north on Vermont to Los Feliz, go right and then go down to the park and left into the park, follow the road and it will be on the left hand side fairly far down. There is a big parking lot, and truthfully I can't recall a big sign or anything, but maybe there is one now.
Description:
The miniature train ride has served the public in Griffith Park since 1948. Youngsters of all ages enjoy the experience of riding the FREEDOM TRAIN or the COLONEL GRIFFITH on the Griffith Park Southern Railroad. The track stretches over a mile and takes the rider past pony rides, through a lush green meadow, through an old Western town, and past a Native American village."